Canada’s Fashion & Lifestyle Retailer, Holt Renfrew has announced a series of ambitious sustainability initiatives that reinforce its commitment to creating a better future for people and the planet. Holts is proud to be the first and only Canadian retailer to set approved science-based targets for carbon reduction.
Holt Renfrew has had its emissions reductions approved by the Science Based Targets initiative is consistent with levels required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement. The targets cover greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from their operations (Scope 1 and 2), as well as Scope 3, consistent with reductions required to keep global warming to 1.5°C. Targets are as follows:
- A reduction in absolute Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 65% by 2030, from a 2019 base year
- A reduction in absolute Scope 3 GHG emissions by 28% by 2030, from a 2019 base year
- 67% of Holt Renfrew’s suppliers from purchased goods and services and upstream and downstream transportation will have science-based targets by 2025
Sebastian Picardo, President & CEO, Holt Renfrew said. “Our customers are at the center of our business, and we want to ensure that sustainability and innovation are at the forefront of their experience at Holts.” Picardo said further, “Retail can be a force for good, and we know that our customers want to make trusted, responsible purchases. Our 360-degree commitment to sustainability removes the barriers for them, allowing them to shop with confidence, in a responsible way.”
Additional sustainability commitments include:
- The most environmentally impactful materials across the business will come from certified/verified sustainable sources by the end of 2025 – with a focus on cotton, leather, down and feathers, plastic packaging, palm oil, and forest-derived fibers (paper, wood, and cellulosic)
- The exit of all animal fur and exotic skins by December 31, 2021, in partnership with the Humane Society International/Canada
- The exit of cosmetic products that contain plastic glitter
- All denim assortments will come from certified/verified sustainable sources by end of 2025
- Improve waste diversion rates in all store locations to 85% by end of 2024
- Holts has developed Green Build Guidelines for design, visual, and construction teams that outline requirements for sustainable building materials and products that are good for the planet and that cultivate healthy indoor air quality
A recently launched partnership with TerraCycle that recycles beauty products and packaging collected in Holt Renfrew stores across the country.